[thelist] Client moved to our server and suddenly they are receiving a lot of spam

Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Wed Jun 2 19:48:33 CDT 2004

Message from Clayton Smith (6/2/2004 08:10 PM)
>My guesses are:
>- the previous provider sold / delivered the email addresses to spam artists
>- someone doesn't like the company and decided to get everyone hooked on
>spam(300+ emails per account a day)
>- it is somehow strangely related to being moved to a new server
>
>thoughts?

Conceivably #1 or #2. I don't see how it could be related to #3.

Are the addresses for specific users - jdoe at example.com, dsmith at example.com
or generic aliases - webmaster at example.com, sales at example.com?

If the latter, consider shutting down the existing addresses and using new
ones. Send an email to the client's clients stating those boxes will no
longer be active from a certain date. Shut down the boxes and auto-delete
all messages.

Don't publish the new addresses in spider-readable form on the website.

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/