[thelist] semantic markup

Tim Beadle tim.beadle at iop.org
Thu Jun 3 09:36:39 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 15:05, Diane Soini wrote:
> I am wondering, however, what is there out there that actually only
> reads a web page in its strictest semantic form? And how exactly would
> it stumble over a <b> tag as opposed to an <em> tag. I would like to
> try this thing out and run some tests.

Not much so far, but there's this:
http://www.w3.org/2003/12/semantic-extractor.html

This sort of stuff will really matter one day. I guess it's a case of
how future-resistant (I think future-proofing is impossible) you want
your code to be.

> Oh, and I think it is sort of strange that in the print world, fonts
> themselves have bold and italic faces, but not strong and emphasis
> faces.

Because humans, not computers, read print?

Tim
--
Tim Beadle <tim.beadle at iop.org>

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England

This e-mail message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.