[thelist] Which is more Semantically Correct(tm) ??

Mike Hopkins ironmike at inav.net
Fri Jun 4 01:51:43 CDT 2004

Hope this isn't way off base....
I copied Maximillion's source code for the course listings
and reduced them
to minimum content. Then I applied what I understand as the
structure of a
(Access) database -- connection, recordset, records,
fields -- to the markup.
Then Iadded an additional layer to the last entry, and
additional fields
to show how linked tables might work. "Key" was changed to
"item" to
avoid confusion.

Using DL, DT & DD fits well with this database structure,
with the
exception of the HEADER which is probably not a look-up
item,
is it?  Here's the code:

{I LEFT OFF THE FINAL BLOCK OF CLOSING TAGS}

<dl>  **CONNECTION

  <dt>  **HEADER
  </dt>

    <dd>  **TABLE
      <dl>  **RECORDSET
        <dt>item</dt>

          <dd>
             <dL>**LINKED RECORDSET
W/ FIELDS

<dd>information</dd>  **MORE FIELDS
          </dd>  **RECORD W/ FIELDS AND LINKED RECORDS

I find it somehow gratifying that a database will fit into
HTML/CSS with simple, straight forward non-tabular
markup. I'm sure other markup would work as well,
but I like this as it should be very easy to script, output
and style.

The vertical relationship now becomes NEXT, but I don't
think
that necessarily forces a table.

Or maybe I'm wrong and lists ARE tables ????

Mike Hopkins
ironmike |AT| inav.net