[thelist] semantic markup

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Fri Jun 4 09:12:53 CDT 2004

Diane Soini wrote:
> I've never used a screen reader. Do they really stumble on <b> tags? I
> would think that they would have built the ability to read such a common
> tag into the software. I'm not trying to be argumentative on whether <b>
> tags are ok. I understand the argument completely, but I do wonder about
> the assumptions made, such as that there are devices out there, other
> than screen readers, that will stumble on a non-semantic document. If
> those devices exist, what are they and where can I see one? I want to
> see what that looks like.

I'm not sure how much it will help, because you only get to use it for
40 minutes (is that 40 minutes total, or 40 minutes per session?), but
you can download a demo of the JAWS screen reader here:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_downloads/jaws_form.asp

--
Sarah Sweeney
Web Developer & Programmer