[thelist] semantic markup

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Fri Jun 4 10:58:59 CDT 2004

> Diane Soini wrote:
>>A user interface component also has a language of context
>>and meaning. Therefore to say that <li> is somehow more
>>correct than a <table> (yeah, I know--please don't go
>>there) is kinda silly.
>
> Greg Holmes wrote:
> No it isn't.  You can at least make an argument that a group
> of navigation links is an unordered list (purge your mind of
> bullets, think some platonic ideal of an unordered list).
> What on Earth would the columns of a <table> of such links
> be?

"The HTML table model allows authors to arrange data ... into rows and
columns of cells."

Ok, the data I want to arrange is the navigational structure of my site.
If I have more than one level there, I use columns for levels and rows
for subjects. And if I have just one level to present, I use just one
column. In the table I naturally include some desciption in the caption
element or summary attribute. And if I get carried away, I just may
group rows or columns to make the navigational structure even easier to
understand.

:k