[thelist] Help with DIV problem - update

Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Mon Jun 7 19:08:51 CDT 2004

Message from Seyon (6/7/2004 07:51 PM)
>Message from Joshua Olson (6/7/2004 04:11 PM)
>>
>>I think the problem may lie in that you've broken what I consider the
>>cardinal rule... never EVER put a set width on a div if you also specify any
>>of border, padding, and margin.
>
>I think that's a pretty horrible cardinal rule to foist off on others.

And here's another reason it's not a very good cardinal rule.

"A floated box must have an explicit width (assigned via the 'width'
property, or its intrinsic width in the case of replaced elements)."
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#floats

With further commentary at
http://www.richinstyle.com/proposals/floatproposal.html#width
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/introduction.htm

Essentially, your makeshift rule contradicts portions of the CSS spec. I'm
sure it's not a problem for you cause you probably understand all this.
Same shouldn't be assumed about everyone who reads your advice.

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/