[thelist] old school question

Joe Crawford joe at artlung.com
Thu Jun 10 12:46:47 CDT 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Dan McCullough wrote:
> Wicked old school don't know why he is doing it this way but its not my
> call. Anyway have a friend who has a form and he isn't usually any form
> handling except for validation on client side via JavaScript.  Doing a
> simple mail to. Anyway I thought there was a way to submit the form to
> an email address, instead he has it as a mailto which opens an email
> which makes no sense since he is asking people to fill out a form, and
> then they have to then redo the information in the email..
>
> What was the old way of just submitting a form to an email without
> having to actually open your email client or use a form handler.

The mailto: technique *is* what you're thinking of -- it used to be more
transparent. But bite the bullet and get a real mail form processor. Most
hosts come with something by default.

More background on using (and why not to use) mailto submission:
http://lab.artlung.com/other/email-submission-stinks/

	Joe
--
Joe "ArtLung" Crawford   AIM:artlung   Phone:619-516-4550
LAMP Host Evangelist, Web Designer, Web Developer, WebSanDiego.org List Guy