[thelist] Which CMS to choose? ( RE )

divaone lparis1 at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 11 17:46:30 CDT 2004

Response: Great clarification Andy. I can recommend Mambo, as did someone
else. I am currently using it on two sites. I have tried and used around 15
different systems all under the label of "CMS". Some were so bland I may as
well spend my time writing one from scratch rather than spend numerous hours
adding mods, hacks and add-ons. Others were way too bloated for my needs.
Using Mambo for the last month, I've come to highly appreciate simple, clean
technology that just *does* it. I've added a few goodies specific to my
needs, but the core is flexible enough to suit most things. For you, I would
suggest a component like DocMan to manage large numbers of documents.
Components that are built in that you don't need (polls, etc.) can be
deleted via the admin interface. Others are installed by uploading a zip and
one click.

Many CMS developers are moving towards removing hard coding and better
standards recognition as well. As with many, Mambo has some hard coded
design elements, but allows for templating and a complete admin area for
your non-techies and is moving to full XHTML (fingers crossed). Download a
simple 2- or 3-column layout and add a few lines of provided php and there's
your template.

Not associated with Mambo at all.. just satisfied. Otherwise, again try
opensourcecms.com!

HTH
divaone ~

Subject: [thelist] Which CMS to choose? ( RE )

The CMS we need is for an academic web site which focuses mainly on
articles. We will be having visiting scholars who will have access to
the site and be able to upload articles online, which will be approved
by the editor. The basic template is Title, Subtitle, Image, Text,
Quotes, and a link to a discussion forum which we would like to
integrate too. As the article is approved by the editor, and is inserted
into the database, it should automatically be updated on the index page,
with its own thumbnail image, title, and preview copy. All articles
should be searchable with the search feature.

The layout is simple, a top navigation bar, and a hierarchy-specific
links bar on the right. Another feature is a mailing list.

Design is a very important aspect, so if there is support for GoLive of
Dreamweaver that would be great. The editors and article-posters will
not be familiar with HTML, so a user-friendly and easy interface for
posting/managing articles is very important.

Again, appreciate your time

Andy
http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/