[thelist] Copyright ownership under LGPL

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Jun 14 21:40:55 CDT 2004

From: "raditha dissanayake" <jabber at raditha.com>
Subject: Re: [thelist] Copyright ownership under LGPL

: Ken Schaefer wrote:
:
: >David,
: >
: >Should you really be posting this type of information to a public list?
: >Surely these types of things, even if not legally "commercial in
confidence"
: >should be kept between the parties concerned? Whilst you could seek
guidance
: >on the general issues involved, I would be more comfortable if you kept
the
: >specifics to yourself.
: >
: >
: Fair comments. However since david has not actually divulged the
: customer's name or email address i guess he is still in the clear. I
: will be jumping on your bandwagon ken, if he had given out any of this
: information.
:
: --
: Raditha Dissanayake.

Possibly - but what if David's client finds this information himself (on the
list, searching the archives etc)? It's not just about protecting the
reputation of the client (in our eyes). It's about protecting the
confidentiality of information supplied by the client to the supplier. If I
was the client, I would not be happy having information I've supplied to a
supplier divulged to a public list. I don't care whether I'm identified or
not - the point is that private conversations of a commercial nature are
being divulged seemingly without the permission of the other party. That
smacks of unprofessionalism, and a distinct lack of commercial nous IMHO.

The next issue is protecting the identity of the client (which is another
issue). I agree that David has not supplied any particulars of the client -
fine. But will David never put this client on his portfolio or resume? I
suppose that's a moot point at this stage. It's also secondary to the
concern above IMHO.

Chees
Ken