[thelist] Web-based Wysiwyg for CMS

Maximillian Schwanekamp anaxamaxan at neptunewebworks.com
Tue Jun 15 16:12:11 CDT 2004

Hey Evoltians,

Anyone have a recommendation for a drop-in wysiwyg component for CMS use?
Searching the list archive gives me some old results, plus HTMLArea.

I have been using the GPL'd javascript-based HTMLArea 3 [0], and it works
great, but it seems to cause a weird memory leak or something with Mozilla
(after using it for a number of pages, I notice Moz's memory usage climbing
to 70, 80 MB, and the browser gets kinda slow).  Plus, the HTML it produces
can get pretty messy.

I looked at SitePoint's Editize[0] (a java applet), which has a great
interface and features, etc, but it apparently does not support CSS much at
all.  This is for a site using ASP/XHTML; my requirements are compatibility
with Moz and IE (Safari would be nice too), and reasonable support for
standards (especially CSS); a nice bonus would be basic spell check.

Does anyone have such a component that they're *really happy with*?

[0] http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea/
[1] http://www.editize.com/

TIA!

Maximillian Von Schwanekamp