[thelist] system requirements for Netscape 4.x vs recent browsers

Tim Beadle tim.beadle at iop.org
Thu Jun 17 03:43:38 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 03:07, Diane Soini wrote:
> I'm curious: You mentioned 4% of the client's users use Netscape 4. Any
> idea who they are?
>
> Others mentioned sites with statistics on browser usage, but they are
> just numbers. Overall, who are the people who use NS4? Do they come
> from a particular region? Socioeconomic group? Age? Country? ?

Academic professionals using Unix? We had higher-than-average NS4 use
until relatively recently, because of our particular market (academic
publishing). Mozilla and NS7 have now cannibalised the NS4 market share
(thankfully - now we can start using CSS for more than just text
colours). It's running at about 2.2% for this month so far.

Tim
--
Tim Beadle <tim.beadle at iop.org>

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England

This e-mail message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.