[thelist] IIS 5 Web Stress Tool

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Thu Jun 17 10:04:12 CDT 2004

Hi Ken,

I cleared my thoughts about the M$ Web Stress tool and started over with a
fresh installation and read some tutorials about it. I know now why it's
intuitive...if you click  the record button.

I hit the record button and played around on my website, opened pdf's, made
some database calls, and clicked the stop button. I set the thread count to
3000 and told it to run unattended for 2 days. My Network admin installed
some HP monitoring agents and runs in my office screaming "Did you know your
server is spiking?!!!" Glad to know the HP agents work :-)

Just to clue you in, this same script received a million hits in 20 minutes.
If you do the math it's about 72 million hits a day with this script. We
normally get about 14 thousand to 22 thousand a day. If IIS 5 doesn't blow
up, let alone the server, it can handle normal day to day traffic in the
future.

Thanks for your help,

Rob