[thelist] Personal firewalls and web apps

Maximillian Schwanekamp anaxamaxan at neptunewebworks.com
Thu Jun 17 17:09:00 CDT 2004

-------------------------------
> Thanks for the referer tip. When our developers used to use ASP, they
> would submit each page to itself, error check, and then use *redirects*
> to move them onto the next page. This is their first ASP.Net app and
> it's all Greek to me so I don't know what's going on.

A redirect alone should not cause any problems.
-------------------------------

Actually, this reminds me of a problem we had with ASP's Response.Redirect()
for those with "Ad Blocking" turned on in their Norton Firewall / Internet
Security.  Somehow the redirect would trigger the ad blocker, and instead of
the correct location the user would get a blank page with a weird snippet of
non-visible HTML.  Perhaps your users have this common thread?

Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
Dynamic Websites and E-Commerce
www.NeptuneWebworks.com
voice: 541-302-1438