[thelist] Is Target dead

Tim Beadle tim.beadle at iop.org
Fri Jun 18 08:25:15 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 14:53, david.landy at somerfield.co.uk wrote:
> I don't remember if it had anything about new windows, but I, for one, have
> been annoyed more than once by my back button apparently being greyed out
> when the site I was on opened up a new, full-screen window,  for no good
> reason that I could see.

>From an accessibility perspective, opening new windows isn't prohibited.
What you *must* do (if you are to claim accessibility) is to warn the
user that a link will open in a new window. We do this in the title
attribute of the <a> tag. E.g. <a href="http://example.com" title="The
Example.com home page (opens in a new window)">Example.com</a>.

In MOSe only, you could add an icon to any link that didn't match the
current site's domain, using an attribute selector:
http://www.kryogenix.org/days/external

Tim
--
Tim Beadle <tim.beadle at iop.org>

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England

This e-mail message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.