[thelist] Is Target dead

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Fri Jun 18 08:55:26 CDT 2004

Tim Beadle wrote:
>>From an accessibility perspective, opening new windows isn't prohibited.
> What you *must* do (if you are to claim accessibility) is to warn the
> user that a link will open in a new window. We do this in the title
> attribute of the <a> tag. E.g. <a href="http://example.com" title="The
> Example.com home page (opens in a new window)">Example.com</a>.
>
> In MOSe only, you could add an icon to any link that didn't match the
> current site's domain, using an attribute selector:
> http://www.kryogenix.org/days/external

I've been thinking about how to do this in a way that would also work in
IE. I was thinking that you could put the icon in as a background image
behind your link, and add padding so the text doesn't overlap the icon.
Not as elegant as using :before or :after, or being able to have CSS
recognize the external links using the "starts with" selector, but it
/works/.

--
Sarah Sweeney
Web Developer & Programmer