[thelist] Spolsky: things you can't do really well in a web a pplication

Tim Beadle tim.beadle at iop.org
Fri Jun 18 10:08:05 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 15:42, John.Brooking at sappi.com wrote:
> Anyone have any references to making normal HTML web pages more keyboard
> driven? I couldn't find anything in Google, maybe I just wasn't searching
> right. I think input tags can have some kind of taborder attribute (to
> override the default left-right up-down), but maybe that's just IE.

Nope - tabindex is part of the spec, and works in Mozilla and probably
others. It's not just for inputs, either. Links can take the tabindex.
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#h-17.11.1

> Beyond mere tabbing, I'd really love a "hotkey" ability, but AFAIK there
> is no way to do this with plain HTML.

Au contraire:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/accesskeys/
http://www.clagnut.com/blog/356/

Tim
--
Tim Beadle <tim.beadle at iop.org>

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England

This e-mail message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.