[thelist] Is Target dead

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at xevious.kicks-ass.net
Sat Jun 19 16:31:04 CDT 2004

On 2004 June 18, Friday 08:02, Chris Hayes wrote:
> What about a plain old website?  If the links section of my company
> website actually takes users away from my site, I don't think I want
> a links section anymore.

If you try to insist upon a new window, what's to stop the user from
deciding to close the (now extra) window? (I used to do exactly this.)

> It should be down to the designer to decide the best usage, XHTML can
> be strict, it doesn't have to be utterly fascist.

The target attribute was intended only for use with frames to begin
with. Frames are obsolete, so target is obsolete too.

The user often knows whether or not he/she wants a new window, much
better than the site author/designer could ever know.

--
Shawn K. Quinn