[thelist] Re: thelist Digest, Vol 16, Issue 36

Maximillian Schwanekamp anaxamaxan at neptunewebworks.com
Mon Jun 21 22:45:10 CDT 2004

---------------------------------
Diane said:
> I MUCH prefer PDF and Word docs and all that other stuff to open in a
> new blank window. It is a shame to eliminate such a useful attribute.

Tim said:
Just because you find opening PDF documents in new windows
useful, doesn't mean that someone else might find it annoying. At the
end of the day, if target is *not* set, you have the choice to
right-click->open in new window. If target *is* set, then you don't have
the option to open in the same window.
---------------------------------

Those same "less clueful" folk might also either not know what that means
and/or experience dread at such 'technical' options.  Still, some quick
scripting can give users the choice of target without causing them too much
anxiety.  Simplistic example:
new window?') ? '_blank' : '_self' );">Evolt</a>
(A better example could easily be made using something other than confirm()
of course!!)

Maximillian Schwanekamp
Dynamic Websites for Microbusiness
www.NeptuneWebworks.com