[thelist] Quick SSL Cert Question

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Wed Jun 23 11:05:48 CDT 2004

Hey gang,

I got a new web server and am setting it up right now. We have purchased two
SSL certs for the various sites we host. Currently all sites are governed by
host headers and all IP's are unassigned during this testing phase. The two
sites in question are subdomains (i.e. this.domain.com and that.domain.com

According to the SSL cert rules, you must have only one cert per domain per
server.

Fact: Host headers and SSL certs do not communicate. However, static IP's
and SSL certs do.

(Deep breath) I just need someone to confirm, with their experience of
working with Multiple SSL certs on the same box on the same domain with
different subdomains, that you Can have two certs on the same domain, but
different subdomain's, which have different IP addresses.

Currently since all sites are unassigned, IIS 5 is only allowing me to
install one and only one SSL Cert. IF the sites were given different IP
addresses, then IIS 5 would allow me to install different SSL certs on
different subdomains.

A Big Texas Thank you in advance!

Rob Smith