[thelist] Video streaming

Norman Beresford n.beresford at anansi.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 02:21:48 CDT 2004

Hi all

Got to put a quote together for Friday so thought I'd pick the lists
collective knowledge :)  Nice and easy one this, but one area I'm grey
on.  It's basically the usual streaming webcam stuff.  The set up is
this:

Local webcams (up to 6)
Local video server
ADSL <---> Internet <-->
Remote web/video server (IIS6)
<--> Internet <-->
Browsers

The idea is that a browser visits the webserver, and requests a specific
cam stream.  The webserver checks to see if the stream is available.  If
it's not it contacts the local video server and requests the stream. The
local video server streams the video to the remote web/video server,
which then rebroadcasts the stream to any views requesting it.

The idea is that there's never more then 6 streams running from the
local server over the ADSL connection (and hopefully there'll be a lot
less).

Now what I'm wondering about is how to do the rebroadcasting of the
streams.  Ideally I'm looking for a bit of software which I can use to
pickup the incoming streams, and rebroadcast them appropriately.  I also
need to be able to prevent people easily saving the streams.  Any ideas,
prefer something that'll run on win2k3/IIS6, but can entertain the idea
of other O/Ss if necessary?

Norman