[thelist] Adding title with css

Wesley Mason wes at pmason.karoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 06:38:45 CDT 2004

It's not possible to add the title for semantics, as others have
suggested you'd need to either using DOM scripting, or use server side
scripting to parse each link and add a title based on it's href value.
You can add a content styled title however, by using:
ul.pdf a:after {
content: " (PDF)";
}

Which would add " (PDF)" to the end of the text of each link.

Of course this adds no semantic value to the content of the document,
but as (PDF) isn't actually added to the documents actual content
(merely it's displayed content), then any robot parsing the text would
see only the links text, and whatever title value you give it.

The concern I'd have with using DOM scripting to place a title, would
be another removal of semantic value for any robot parsing the text if
it doesn't apply scripting changes before parsing content (plenty of
possibility for this); this is where I'd recommend server side
scripting of some flavour (whatever floats your boat) to parse the
links and add titles rather than client side (client side has many
advantages and has it's place, but in such cases where it can detract
from the usefulness or parseability of the document content, I believe
it detracts highly from such use).

- --
Wesley Aaron Mason
(1st Vamp)