[thelist] Adding title with css

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Thu Jun 24 08:55:58 CDT 2004

Wesley --

In theory I agree with you, but in a case such as this is it really
that important for Google to see the "(PDF)" that you're adding?
That's not really part of the _content_ of the page.  If (for example)
my blender store at blenders.com has a PDF catalog attached, I want the
search engine to see "blender" and "catalog"; but I don't care if it
sees "PDF".

Nobody looking for blenders is going to search for "blenders pdf".

There are situations where the distinction between server-side and
client-side scripting may be an issue, but marking PDFs (or marking
"new window" or external links, or whatever other non-content related
info you care to express) doesn't seem to be one of them.

In the mean time Andreas, Sarah Sweeney posted a useful link in a
recent discussion of XHTML compliant "target" attributes.  It seems
this could be easily adapted to what you want to do.
<http://www.sitepoint.com/article/standards-compliant-world>

Regards,
Steve Rider

On Jun 24, 2004, at 6:38 AM, Wesley Mason wrote:

> You can add a content styled title however, by using:
> ul.pdf a:after {
> content: " (PDF)";
> }
>
> Which would add " (PDF)" to the end of the text of each link.

snip