[thelist] Creating a desktop link to a web page

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Jun 28 01:17:17 CDT 2004

Sure.

As mentioned before, the /default/ icon is this white rectangle with a blue
"e" covering the bottom left corner (assuming you use IE as your default
browser). This corresponds to:

IconIndex=0
IconFile=c:\windows\system32\url.dll

Alternatively, you could use any other file that has icons as embedded
resources. As a test, right-click on the shortcut you have, choose
properties -> change icon (on the "web document" tab) -> browse -> browse to
c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll and pick an icon.

Now, use Start -> Run -> Cmd -> Edit, and look inside your shortcut to see
that IconFile now points to c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll and the
IconIndex corresponds to the image index of the particular icon you picked.

I post instructions on how to use favicon.ico before (if that's what you're
after).

Cheers
Ken