[thelist] how did you learn?

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Tue Jun 29 04:00:43 CDT 2004

At 06:40 29/06/2004, Paul Bennett wrote:

>How did you first begin your learning? Did you pick up a book?
>Go to online forums? Ask a friend? Take a short course?

   I had a very short course as part of the general computer use section of
a Maths course I did in college. By the time I dropped out, I had taught
myself a fair bit of html, and got a job in a large company as webmaster
for the engineering department ("Junior Internal Webmaster for Product
Development" was the first job title). I worked my way up in that company,
learning extra bits - mostly Perl and CGI - as I went. In other companies,
later, I picked up PHP, Tcl, Cold Fusion, and so on. I can pin the actual
courses I did down to two hours in the maths course, and a two-day
photoshop course. I've actually put in far more hours teaching html than
learning it in classes.

   Drew.