[thelist] how did you learn?

Alan McCoy a.r.mccoy at larc.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 29 07:30:04 CDT 2004

=> How did you first begin your learning? Did you pick up a
=> book? Go to online forums? Ask a friend? Take a short course?

I started learning it back in 1996, when the company I was working for
wanted to be able to do a web site for one of their clients. Nobody else on
the team wanted to learn it so I jumped in and LOVED it! I learned enough
Photoshop (3.0 back then) to do some simple buttons and graphics and dug
further into HTML. (this was not long after <table> had just caught on) I
ended up loving web dev so much that I landed a job with a NASA university
contractor as their webmaster. (haven't used that title in a looooong time!)

The webmaster job provided me with more than enough time to learn the things
I wanted to know...more Photoshop skills, JavaScript, Linux servers, Perl,
PHP, MySQL, Illustrator, Flash, and even 3D animation.

I've never taken a class and my graphic design sensibilities (whatever they
are) stem from my past work in advertising, theatre, and art classes I took
as a kid. My web-related learning has mostly been online tutorials, the
occasional book, product demos, and a lot of viewing source.

Alan