[thelist] how did you learn?

joe stowaway at uklinux.net
Tue Jun 29 10:17:47 CDT 2004

Paul Bennett wrote:

>OK, I have a question for all those developers out there who
>didn't spend 3 years at university / college to gain
>professional web development skills.
>
>How did you first begin your learning? Did you pick up a book?
>Go to online forums? Ask a friend? Take a short course?

lol

this is a hilarious thread.  I first learned html through osmosis in the
womb and made my first site in 1949 using sticks instead of tags.  We
had to make do with shoe-boxes and pieces of string for our internet,
and we were still happy.

<tip type="php sessions" author="joe">

Future-proof (as best you can) against your sys-admin upgrading PHP with
register-globals off.  Instead of using session_register() etc, use
$_SESSION[] variables.  You have only a little more to type when using
these session vars, but your site will not bite the dust when
register-globals gets turned off.  Lets face it, unless you are the
sys-admin, you won't know they've done it till your clients want to know
why their sites are full of error messages.

</tip>