[thelist] Dear fellows: Be carefull in your job, very carefull

chris h chris123 at magma.ca
Tue Jun 29 13:06:50 CDT 2004

On June 29, 2004 01:21 pm, Jonathan wrote:

> Your clients might not like the cost, but by offering the option you would
> offer yourself plausable deniability of responsibility from these minor but
> catastrophic errors.  Besides, in two years, don't you think the client
> could have checked it?  Yea, blame the client!

Agreed from this end as well but for a different reason.

Clients invariably omit acceptance testing procedures from contracts. In order
to avoid such issues for the client not our staff, we do not sign a contract
that does not have a documented acceptance procedure or a waiver of the same
included in the body of the contract.

So if there are errors and no acceptance procedures at the time of hand over
the liability remains with the client. If there are errors and a documented
acceptance test, criteria and procedures, we price it accordingly (up front)
and errors detected are resolved as part of a change order and qa mechanism
that we absorb at our cost.

 Sound very formal but saves everyone dollars, grief and time. Can be
implemented even for small clients and jobs, just change the wording as too
not to scare them off..:)

regards

/ch