SV: [thelist] Page width and good web design

Andreas Wahlin Andreas.Wahlin at ufl.gu.se
Thu Jul 1 03:30:45 CDT 2004

<A general rule of thumb in technical writing is to keep your character
limit at 80. Do not have more than 17 words in a sentence and no more
than 8 lines in a paragraph.>

What do you all think is the best way to go about this in CSS?
I have a few div tags, for links, page headers, footers, and one with
the "main text". I put this main text effectively to width 50%, using
margin: 2% 25% 2% 25%; (so it's 25% padded from left and right, making
50% left in the middle).
Is this good? I'm slightly concered that text may be to little or to
much depending on the users screen resolution and how they choose to
resize the window. On the other hand, it's liquid design that lets you
have the width you want simply by resizing the window ... Any comments?
Is it always good to have width of things set to %, so that the client
can control it the way they want? (perhaps with a min/max-width thrown
in in really special cases)

Andreas