[thelist] IIS Caching

J Nicholas Tolson jtnt at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 12 07:58:00 CDT 2004

On 7/12/04 8:04 AM, "chris at martiantechnologies.com"
<chris at martiantechnologies.com> wrote:

> We are running NLB with a cluster of 2 servers running IIS 5. I updated a
> particular javascript file on both boxes, but the old javascript file
> continued to be served.

Chris -

This happens to me as well - and has happened for months without me being
able to find an adequate solution.  It happens for me on html/asp files,
although it could also happen to JS files, I just happen to not edit these
too often. Restarting and/or resetting IIS usually corrects the problem
temporarily for me. As mentioned though, I have have not been able to find a
permanent cure for this.

I've also found that a quick fix can sometimes be simply adding a question
mark after the URL to force the server to reload the page, but this
sometimes still doesn't do anything and obviously this doesn't help at all
if your URL already contains a query string.

I am not running NLB (indeed, I do not even know what this is), but we are
running IIS 5, like you.

Please keep my address in the event you find a solution or avenues to try to
fix the problem. Maybe we can help each other on this one.

Nicholas