[thelist]Security hole found in Mozilla browser

Tanner Burson tanner at younet.okstate.edu
Mon Jul 12 09:21:59 CDT 2004

:SMS is an option - but it works better if the vendor provides the necessary
:SMS packages. Otherwise it has the potential to become a painful exercise.

:We do not allow users to install their own software. For simple changes
: (changing a registry key, or updating some text files), we can use a
:startup
:script in a GPO to make the necessary changes to a user's machine without
:their needing the appropriate privileges. But as soon as we get an update
:that requires user interaction (and no way of having some kind of
:automated,
:unattended installation) we run into problems.

:I suspect that there's probably info on this out there (and I was hoping
:that someone might have a link handy) - we just need to search harder!

This is far from an optimal solution, but for a quick and dirty way to
script installs of applications that do not provide an automated method,
check out AutoIt[1].  It's no substitution for vendor provided automation
but provides more than enough flexibility to handle simple install apps.

[1]http://www.hiddensoft.com/AutoIt/

Tanner Burson