[thelist] ASP.Net and web standards

Marcus Andersson marcus at bristav.se
Tue Jul 13 08:47:05 CDT 2004

Ken Schaefer wrote:
> Maybe you should get better developers? :-)
>
> Everything is ultimately under their control - if they really want to, they
> can inherit from just about any class in the framework, overwrite any method
> they want, and have the control output anything they like. Obviously, this
> can be a bit of work unfortunately. That said, all the public facing
> webpages I do now are all XHTML v1 Transitional compliant, so it's
> definately doable.
>
> That said, .NET has adaptive rendering, so, you won't see the same output
> for the different browsers. For downlevel browsers, by default, you will get
> HTML v3.2.

The problem here is that .Net considers everything not IE as downlevel.

 From MSDN :
Browsers and client devices that are considered uplevel usually support at least the following:
ECMAScript (JScript, JavaScript) version 1.2.
HTML version 4.0
The Microsoft Document Object Model (MSDOM)
Cascading style sheets (CSS)

Downlevel browsers and client devices support the following only:
HTML version 3.2

Notice the line that states "The Microsoft Document Object Model (MSDOM)" which most of the non-IE browsers
don't support.

I know you can force (override the downlevel-uplevel autodetection) the page to render uplevel always but then
you lose the ability to handle the real downlevel browsers.

I may be wrong since I'm not an expert and I would gladly receive a pointer somewhere that tells me different.

/Marcus