[thelist] Search Engine Submissions

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Thu Jul 15 09:03:38 CDT 2004

>>>Does anyone know of a quality search engine submission service?
>>
>>I should also mention that there really are no "quality" search engine
>>submission services, at least not according to Google, which says:
>>"Don't use unauthorized computer programs to submit pages, check
>>rankings, etc. Such programs consume computing resources and violate our
>>terms of service. Google does not recommend the use of products such as
>>WebPosition Gold that send automatic or programmatic queries to Google."
>>http://www.google.ca/webmasters/guidelines.html
>>
>>Check these sites for more detailed information and guidelines on
>>getting indexed:
>>http://www.highrankings.com/
>>http://www.searchenginewatch.com/
 >
> But there are quality services which will review your site to make
> sure it's optimized for search engines. These services are quite worth
> is. I use http://www.turbopromoter.com and between their advice and my
> own hard work, my site is beating Macromedia.com in some places.
> Services of this sort will also point you to the proper places to post
> your site which will result in your site being spidered by the big
> search engines and getting the results you want.

There's nothing wrong with a service which will help you to optimize
your site for search engines, it's the automatic submission tools that
are not recommended; submitting sites by hand to the top search engines
is better (though still not guaranteed to get you indexed). This is why
I said that being linked to by another site is really the best way to
get indexed.

Here's a great resource including links to the submission pages for the
top search engines, as well as a chart showing the relationships between
search engines (i.e. which get their listing from others, etc):
http://www.bruceclay.com/web_add.htm

--
Sarah Sweeney
Web Developer & Programmer