[thelist] static ip address + ssl

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Fri Jul 16 10:24:31 CDT 2004

Andrew,

With SSL, the domain must have it's own IP.  It's common practice to host
multiple sites on a single IP address and differentiate between them using
the host name in the request.  But, with SSL, the host name is encrypted
along with the rest of the request.  Since the SSL certificate is bound to
the domain name, you have to already know which domain the request is for
before the request is decrypted.  The only way to do this is to put the
domain on it's own IP to differentiate request for it from requests to other
domains.  (technically, you could use another port on the same IP, but this
would force a non-typical URL, such as https://www.domain.com:495/)

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.