[thelist] Referer Headers

Carlos Costa Portela ccosta at servidores.net
Fri Jul 16 10:55:56 CDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, John Griffith wrote:
> I have a few intranet pages here which link to some competitors websites, and I don't really want them to be able to see the referer
> headers in their log files, as they give away all sorts in internal information which for security reasons I don't want other people
> to see (the scripting language used, internal IP addresses, etc). Is
> there any way to ask a browser not to supply a referer header?

Ask everybody to configure the browser is not the best solution, perhaps.
You could put all the links to external pages in the form:

/gourl.php?url=the_external_url

And, in the script gourl.php, put the referral information that you want.
I've not tested this, but I think that it could run fine.

Hope this helps,
	Carlos.

       [ http://www.biologia.org/ :: portal especializado en Biología ]
| e-mail:  ccosta at servidores.net | home page: http://casa.ccp.servidores.net |