[thelist] Halp!!! W95 Full or a clue?

Allen Schaaf techwriter at sound-by-design.com
Sat Jul 17 19:29:40 CDT 2004

I'm old enough to know better but..., I'm trying to do a favor for one of
the Rec Directors at Potrero Hill Rec Center in San Francisco.

He has a licence for Win98 first edition and I have a spare Win98SE to give
him. But I can't use it because it won't let me use a full install, only an
upgrade disc.

Does anyone have an old Win98SE Upgrade disk floating around to do this with?

Or, alternatively, do you know what file I have to re-name to make it work?
I re-named both system.dat and user.dat but that was not it. Or what file
should I point it to to make it work? Clues?

And I may be in even deeper doo-doo because it can not find the install
files to tell it that it was a legit W98 first or W95 to do a re-install of
the W98 first edition. Now I just get a "kernel error" and it powers off. I
still have an old W95 disk somewhere as I can find the CD case, but not the
disk!

I'm trying my d$%^est to not do a wipe disk as he has a lot of stuff he
does not know where the original disks are.

Yea, I know, get the guy to move to a decent platform, but he is set in his
ways and only uses it to run the ProAm basketball site with FrontPage,
Pagemaker, Word Perfect, etc. All versions at least six years old.

If it is around San Francisco Bay Area, I'll pick up a disk or you can zip
up the whole thing and e-mail it. (I know - crazy, but my mailbox is
huuuge.) Or place it on a web page and let me know where it is so I can use
fake FTP to download it.

He runs a good program. You can look at it at:

http://www.sfprocity.com/

Thanks a bunch,

Allen Schaaf