[thelist] Re: Halp!!! W95 Full or a clue?

Michael Harrington mike0351 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 20 00:39:25 CDT 2004

If you are going to put a different version of Windows on it that what is
installed now, boot up with you Windows CD or floppy disk to the "C:>" command
prompt. Rename the folder "Windows" to "ZWindows". To do this, type "ren windows
zwindows" but not the quote marks.

Now type "cd zwindows"; Now type "ren windows.com zwindows.com"

When Windows 95 or 98 does an installation it goes and looks in all folders for
"windows.com". If it finds it, it gives you an error if the versions are
different. If the installation program cannot find, "windows.com", it proceeds to
install Windows. You will not lose any documents. You will have to install
drivers and programs though.

I have done this many times so I know it works.