[thelist] HTML is not enough [WAS: A Beginner Freelance Question]

Casey Crookston casey at thecrookstons.com
Wed Jul 21 12:30:48 CDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Burhan Khalid" <thelist at meidomus.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 1:56 AM
Subject: Re: [thelist] A Beginner Freelance Question

Suzanne M. Harker wrote:

> > Question: Also, may I ask if anyone knows of anyone who is looking for
help
> > with websites, .html coding, e-editing, and/or a webmaster?

Burhan Khalid replied:

> Well my firm is looking for developers (mainly freelancers) to hire on
> contract.  You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find a decent PHP
> programmer who isn't already comitted :(
>
> A few professional colleagues of mine have offered to help, but we
> really need someone to hold on contract...also someone that is
> proficient in Typo3.

Casey added his $00.02:

Knowing only how to "websites, .html coding, e-editing, and/or a webmaster"
is not enough to make a very good living.  If you're to be taken seriously
you'll need to learn a scripting language such as PHP or ASP.net.  And if
you really want to be a top-gun, then learn a couple of databases as well.

Even back in the good-ol-days, I don't know of anybody, even if big cities,
who could demand $100/hour for simple HTML coding.  And now that the
good-ol-days are as old as the dust, even guys who know html, .net, php,
cold fusion, sql, mySql, etc. feel lucky to get $85 hour.

Burhan's example is perfect: he needs PHP developers, not simple HTML
editors.

Like I said, just my $00.02.