[thelist] Template Monster [WAS: A Beginner Freelance Question]

Casey Crookston casey at thecrookstons.com
Thu Jul 22 11:53:17 CDT 2004

Rob said:

> <tip type="templates are good!" classification="novice"
author="Rob.Smith">
> Erm, if you suddenly find yourself in a tight bind with a client who needs
> site done fast, don't hesitate to pick up the mouse and drive it over to a
> template vendor and download one. If the template costs you something to
get
> it, pass the buck to the client and give them a price you paid for it and
> mark it up 40%. They'll pay.
>
> ... just speaking from experience.
> </tip>
>
> Speaking of which. I just became an affiliate of template monster.com. All
> of a sudden I've got +3,000 templates to resell
> http://www.azuritedesign.com/templates.htm (link may intermittently work,
> changing hosting companies) Is there anything wrong with those templates?
> Have you had any experience using them?
>
> Rob

I'm at www.templatemonster.com a LOT.  Mostly I use it for ideas... browse
through their templates, copy a few of their screenshots into photoshop, and
use them as lauchpads for new sites I'm doing.   I did purchase one of their
templates for a customer, mostly 'cause it was cheap and I wanted to see
what happened after the purchase.  It's a tad cumbersome simply to download
the template, and I still had to do a TON of mods to make it fit the
client's need.

Save time?  Ummm... only in the initial idea/design stage.  By the time I
made all the modifications I'm not sure I was ahead.