[thelist] Template Monster [WAS: A Beginner Freelance Question]

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Thu Jul 22 12:37:20 CDT 2004

RD> Just like people install PHPBB, UBB, osCommerce, Gallery, etc onto
RD> their sites - from my perspective I mean come on - all that pesky
RD> *code* is done for you, now all that is left is to plug in your
RD> variables like a good little cog. Crazy concept but why can't you code
RD> it yourself?

RD> (BTW I do always code it myself, it's my job, I'm just making my
RD> point).

I'm a PHP developer too. There are times when I don't have time to develop
an ultra complex shopping cart system. It's actually sometimes cheaper for
me to buy it than to build it.

This idea goes back to the Bill Gates principle, not saying that I'm him. It
has been said that if he see's a thousand dollars laying on the road, it'll
cost him more money to pick it up, than to just keep walking.

Rob