[thelist] Request from Server failing for one user

Sam Carter scforum at iness.com
Thu Jul 22 22:28:34 CDT 2004

I have a user with 2 PCs at his desk.  When pulling a page from our server
that uses server-side code to find the referring URL, one computer ALWAYS
gets NULL returned by the server HTTP_REFERER.  I've written the following
diagnostic code to display a Session variable (ensures state has not been
lost) and display HTTP_REFERER in an attempt to gather more information.

Response.Write "Hello world !"
Response.Write " UserID = " & Session("UserID")
strMine = "Testing: "
strMine = strMine & Server.URLEncode(
request.servervariables("HTTP_REFERER")  )
Response.Write  strMine
Response.WRite "End of Test"
Response.Write "</body>"

For reasons I can't imagine, the HTTP_REFERER is coming up NULL *all the
time*, for all browsers on one PC (we've tried IE 6 and NS 7).  Any browser
works properly on the alternate computer, both computers connect to the same
HUB.  This seems to eliminate any thought that it may be a firewall /
network blocking the string.

I do not know where to look.  Does anyone have any idea why or how a server
could fail to deliver HTTP_REFERER to a specific client PC?

Thanks,

Sam