[thelist] RE: Template Monster [WAS: A Beginner Freelance Question]

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 21:23:18 CDT 2004

Hi Greg,

I'm sorry you don't understand what I'm trying to say :-) It may be
that I'm not explaining it very well.

> >As you allude - it makes it easier for you to get into areas that you
> >otherwise wouldn't be able to handle, but it makes it easier for everyone
> >else to (the same way HTML being so easy makes it easier for lots of
> >people to get into the business, and depress prices).
>
> I hardly see how open source changes the equation.  You think that the
> developers in low wage countries are *buying* closed source software,
> for more than the cost of the CDRW?  The cost of closed source wasn't
> a barrier to entry (for them) anyway.

It seems you are talking about your own situation, where you have two options:
a) buy closed source software -or-
b) use FOSS

I think that's missing the point. In option (a), someone is being paid
for their closed source software, which is more lucrative for that
particular developer or firm. I'm *not* saying that this is a good
thing overall. In fact, it makes things more expensive for the end
purchaser.

By utilising FOSS, a company can lower their costs, make products
cheaper, and the end consumer benefits. HOWEVER, this doesn't make
life more lucrative for developers. It lowers the barriers to entry,
it makes the market place more competitive, it'll cut your margins. It
happened with HTML / CSS / Javascript. It'll happen in other areas as
well.

I am not saying that this is a bad thing. I'm just saying that I don't
think this is going to help the average developer in the US compete
with the average developer in India (or wherever).

> >but I think FOSS is going to make life /less/ lucrative for the average
> >developer.
>
> Er, how?  It reduces my costs if I use open source software for a given
> purpose instead of closed source (yes, obviously, if there is an
> appropriate open source solution available for that given purpose).

Right - it reduces your costs. And it reduces the costs of every other
developer. And guess what, competition drives down the price you can
charge as well.

Furthermore, by lowering the barriers to entry, competition will
*increase*. No longer do you, as a developer, need to buy a $10,000
Solaris machine, and a $10,000 Oracle licence to run a decent dev
machine. Instead, you need a $1000 PC, and you can get free licences
for just about every DBMS. But so can 100,000 other developers now.
And someone is going to figure they can cut their prices to win more
business.

Cutting costs is only helpful in a business sense if you're the only
person doing it. If everyone's doing it, then the benefits flow to the
purchasers, not to the suppliers (excepting the "income" effect - by
cutting costs the overall purchasing pie will increase as the
purchaser's buck goes a bit further).

> Nor would I see your point even if it did change the equation - what
> do you suggest, buying closed source and then wishing really hard that
> developers in low wage countries would too?

I'm not suggesting that you buy closed source software. I'm just
saying that those producing closed source software are/were making
money. FOSS reduces the amount of money that those developers were
making.

> Open source is here and it isn't going away.
> Those who use it wisely get a competitive advantage.
> You suggest that we in high wage countries forgo that advantage (or at
> least equalizer)?

Anyone who can use the tools available to them wisely will do well.
FOSS doesn't change that fundamental fact. If your company has some
kind of strategic advantage, then you can leverage that fact.

However, this is very different to /every/ developer somehow
benefitting from FOSS, or FOSS somehow allowing developers to compete
with cheap overseas labour.

I would like to comment on this:
> >The *end consumer* gets the benefits of Open Source (which I think is
> >a good thing - it makes us all a bit better off),
>
> Hmm; a fascinating departure from your usual tack ;)  I'd love to
> explore this ...

If you think this is some kind of departure from "my usual tack" you
really don't know what I think at all. Now, I do a lot of work with
Microsoft products, and before that Novell stuff.

But, that doesn't mean I don't believe in efficient markers, free
trade and so forth. I believe that protectionism is self-defeating,
and an indirect tax on every other efficient industry. I believe that
IT users should decide what IT they should use based on what delivers
the best ROI for them. I have *consistently* stated (when asked
"should I use ASP or PHP or CF or whatever?") that one needs to look
at the existing infrastructure, in-house skills that exist and what
the existing code-base is.

Cheers
Ken