[thelist] RE: Does web design have a future in 'high wage' countries? (wasQuestion])

RUST Randal RRust at COVANSYS.com
Mon Jul 26 06:44:10 CDT 2004

YoYoEtc wrote:

> Now, I know that a lot of money to a student would perhaps seem like
> peanuts to us, but it made me realize there is definitely
> work out there to
> be had if students are finding it. I should have asked him
> how he finds his
> clients. As a newbie, I could do with making some money at this.

One thing you have to remember is that this kid also has lots of time to
put into his projects. So he's probably not the most efficient at the
job. That's a guess, but very likely quite true.

When you have three kids, a house and other responsibilities, you cannot
afford to be inefficient, and you have to charge more for your time. But
the client gets the benefit of your speed, accuracy and experience.

And you also have to keep in mind that if he charges $10/hr for Web
design, that's probably more than he makes bagging groceries.

There is only one way to find clients -- advertise your services. Be it
through word-of-mouth or place an ad. No one will know what you can
offer until you tell them.