[thelist] RE: Does web design have a future in 'highwage'countries? (wasQuestion])

RUST Randal RRust at COVANSYS.com
Mon Jul 26 07:12:33 CDT 2004

Diane Soini wrote:

> All this off-shoring would be fine with me if I knew what was
> going to
> replace these jobs.

And therein lies the biggest issue. Most IT workers have skills that
apply to one industry. When a worker on the line at a GM plant in
Michigan gets laid off, he or she has skills that are easier to apply to
a new line of work. Most often the job will be physical in nature, but
at least they can adapt. It's just not the same for the IT worker.