[thelist] ASP and PHP Correlation

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Tue Jul 27 09:05:21 CDT 2004

Rob Smith asked:

>>I just had an interesting thought. Do you associate ASP with the
>>corporate environment and PHP with the Freelance environment?

Hi Rob,

Not really. Actually, I generally associate ASP with a windows
environment and PHP with a 'nix environment. A large corporate
environment is likely to have both. (A really large corporate
environment is likely to have a little bit of everydangthing!)

Sooo ... why would you say that?  Do you think more self-taught
developers are starting off by learning PHP than ASP? That would
be an interesting proposition to consider.

Folks on thelist excluded ... would a beginner with a new machine
(probably Windows based) be more likely to download and install a
LAMP setup ... or load PWS off their install disk and buy a copy
of Access?

I dunno.

Is there a greater preponderance of cheap or f2o-like 'nix
playground hosting than cheap win hosting these days? That could
be another explanation that would support a contention for more
PHP-ers.

RonL.
(Obviously stalling for time because he doesn't want to wrestle
with that nasty SQL 'decode' he should be working on. [Select
the appropriate column based on the sysdate at run time - "Oh,
it's July is it? Then we'll give you column 9!" Grrrr.])