[thelist] Does web design have a future in 'high wage' countries?

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Tue Jul 27 09:33:53 CDT 2004

Losing jobs to people who will do the same (or "the same") work for much
cheaper is scary, as it the difficulty many people have finding work in
the IT field. We all have our moment when it seems like the industry
really sucks. But...

I think we in "high wages" countries need to take a step back and think
about why we feel we /need/ these high wages. I'll be a bit cheesy here
and quote Tyler Durden (Fight Club): "Advertising has us chasing cars
and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy sh*t we don't need." We
should all be a lot more grateful for what we have (in abundance), and
not take our comfortable lives for granted. If we didn't feel we needed
so much stuff, I'm sure we could all make do with less money and
therefore work less hours. After all, what's the point of making the
money (and buying the stuff) if you don't have (stress-free) time to
enjoy it. I for one am thankful every day that I have a good job (if not
very high-paying), a safe and comfortable place to live, good food to
eat, and wonderful people to share it all with - including the people on
thelist :)

<tip type="choosing a colour scheme">
ColorCache is a great tool for choosing a colour scheme. You can start
with a random colour or one you specify (by entering the colour code or
using the eyedropper/magnifier tool). ColorCache will give you other
colours to go with your chosen colour: complimenty colours, analagous
colours, etc. You can build palettes based on the colours you choose,
and save the palettes as XML or export them to Photoshop.
http://colorcache.tlhouse.co.uk/
(Not affiliated with ColorCache.)
</tip>

--