[thelist] script alternative for static web site

Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) peter at easylistbox.com
Tue Jul 27 22:08:44 CDT 2004

Hi Diane,

	Short answer:  there is no way to read server files using only
client-side javascript.

	If it's a Windows 95/98 machine, you can install PWS (Personal
Web Server) and run Active Server Pages (anything newer will just use
IIS).  They can be scripted with either VBScript (very easy to learn) or
Jscript (Microsoft's Javascript variant).

	One other option, if you don't want to do things through the web
server, would be to use Windows Scripting Host... But again, if it's not
installed on the machine and the only access you have is http or ftp,
you're probably out of luck.  This is a really odd request; I'd be
interested to hear more context on your situation.

Cheers,

Peter