[thelist] Looking for dynamic menus for ASP pages

Tim Beadle tim.beadle at iop.org
Wed Jul 28 09:22:03 CDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 14:46, Rob Smith wrote:
> When I started developing this thing many moons ago, I just couldn't bring
> myself to create 50 some-odd columns, one for each user group. I should
> have. In a way, now that I think about your suggestions, I think that would
> work nicer and bring in what you talked about; a matrix if you will:

You don't need 50-odd columns! You have a many-to-many relationship
table between userid and roleid, like this:

userid | roleid
 23    | 1
 23    | 2
 23    | 4
 23    | 9

If user 23 needed to have roles 1,2,4 and 9 (as in your example). Repeat
for each user/role combination.

Tim
--
Tim Beadle <tim.beadle at iop.org>