[thelist] How important is height when using tables?

Johnson, Christopher (MTO) Christopher.Johnson at mto.gov.on.ca
Thu Jul 29 13:37:34 CDT 2004

Hello,

Just a quick question that I have been wondering about for the last few
days. When design a site using tables for the layout, how important is it to
state a table and/or cell height? Is there any speed gained in telling the
browser the height of a cell versus not when it comes to rendering a table?
Is there underlying reason to leave the height attribute off when working
with tables?

Thanks,
chris

P.S. I know that when it comes to design one should use css and not tables,
but I am just a lowly co-op student working on a site that is not of my
creation. Thus, it is not my place to change the way this company does
things. So no comments about why tables are bad and how I should be using
css.