upgrading browsers is *not* easy (RE: [thelist] How important is height when using tables?)

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 23:29:46 CDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:53:26 -0300, Sarah Sweeney
<mr.sanders at designshift.com> wrote:
> On 7/30/2004 1:45 PM Joel D Canfield wrote:
> > You can watch anything on broadcast TV using a b&w,
> > and other than the lack of color, it works *identically* to a color TV.
>
> You can still view web pages built without tables in older browsers (if
> they are well-built; again, I did say they should be *easily
> accessible"). They might not look the same, or as good, but you can
> still view them.

Ultimately this is a management decision based on business drivers
*NOT* a technical question which has a definitive answer based on
given inputs.

As mentioned, in some cases you would use a table-based layout for
backwards compatibility reasons (either with an existing code-base, or
user's applications). Whether or not you need to do this varies
depending on the business case.

Cheers
Ken