[thelist] MM Contribute issue with editing virtual includes

Karl Jacobs kj at studio.aero.org
Mon Aug 2 12:57:04 CDT 2004

I'm deploying a corporate website, with about 8 Contribute users, and
myself as the designer/admin.

I've hit one snag, that I'm hoping you can help with.

I have a left-hand navigation column setup, that is being pulled into
the template/pages as a virtual include.  (I am using virtual
includes so there is just one menu file for each directory, so the
editors do not forget to add the links to al pages in a group, and so
all the links are relative to the site root).

The problem is that while Contribute sees the left-navigation, it
cannot edit it.

the include file code looks like this.....

  	<ul>
	</ul>

    <ul>
      <!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="left navigation" -->
      <!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
    </ul>

The <li>s need to stay with the div tag, otherwise the CSS does not
apply to them.

I also do not want users to be able to edit the div, but just the
contents of the div.

Since I can't save the left-nav as a template, or the include won't
work, and Contribute won't see the left-nav file by itself, since
it's not linked like a normal file, how do I allow users to edit the
laft-nav?...

thoughts?

thanks,

-- Karl